Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Survival Swimming - Day 3

Today was just amazing!  He was floating on his own for several seconds!  I just watched in sheer nervous amazement!  I was on pins and needles the WHOLE time!!!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  Here he is, floating on his own, after 3 days of only 10 minute lessons.  Crazy.

We were the last lesson tonight since I worked today and wanted to go if I could.  We ended up being the last ones in the pool so I could actually talk to Penny while she was teaching Thomas and ask her why she was doing certain things.  First she jokes that he is mad, has a hot temper, then she says that she was teaching him and he is already learning that if he screams and gargles that he gets water in his throat.  She explained that he is already learning to cry, but not to scream too hard because otherwise he starts to choke and freak out.  You will also hear me ask why she blows on his face, she said that it teaches them to breath when they are in the water.  I guess most babies will float because of how fat they are, they are just very buoyant, but they forget to breath so they choke on the water.  Scary stuff!

I realize we still have a long ways to go, and that we may have set backs along the way, but he's already come so far!  Till tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great job Thomas. You and your Mama are so brave. I just had a panic attack watching that. But you will have peace of mind once he can really float, knowing that he will survive if anything terrible happens. But oh, in the mean time, I bet it's SO hard to watch that!

    ReplyDelete