Friday, April 15, 2011

Mommy Kidney Stone update

After 18 weeks with a nephrostomy tube, almost 6 weeks of a midline with iv antibiotic treatment, a skin infection treated with oral antibiotics, a uti causing bacteria which is currently being treated with oral antibiotics and about 10 tube exchanges my Dr.s have advised it is best that I attempt to remove the stone.  I've been consulting with my obgyn, infectious disease Dr. and urologist and they all have decided that it is now worth attempting to the remove the stone because of the amount of infections I've had and large amounts of antibiotics myself and the baby are being exposed to.  

They are concerned mostly for the baby that if something happens after delivery and the baby needs to be treated with antibiotics that they would have a hard time treating an infection because of build up of antibodies and possible resistance.  They are also concerned that the continued large amounts of antibiotics will lead to a more serious infection of my kidney.  After weighing our options and trying to treat this kidney stone in the most conservative way possible, the plan has now changed to try and remove the stone next week.  My surgery date is Thursday April 21st at 2pm.

The plan is for the Dr. to remove the stone via laser and place a stent that will be removed within 24-48 hours after the procedure to insure all remnants of the stone are passed.  If that is not possible then he will place a semi permanent stent in my right ureter to internally drain the right ureter so that the nephrostomy tube can still be removed at the time of surgery or up to a day later, as the tube is the reason for the continued infections and antibiotic use.  Either way 48 hours the procedure is complete I can stop the iv antibiotic treatment and have my midline removed.  Both of these options will prevent more infections from forming as there will no longer be tubes coming out of my body and letting infections in. 

Hopefully all goes well, the Dr. is able to laser the stone and all of these kidney and infection issues are behind Baby Amadori #2 and I.  Depending how the surgery goes they will decide how long they need to keep me at the hospital to monitor me and make sure that I do not go into labor as that is the main concern about performing the surgery being pregnant.  Being that I will be 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant on the day of the surgery the risk to the baby for preterm labor is very slim as my obgyn said that in their practice they do not stop labor after 34 weeks.  

Thursday can't come soon enough and Jason and I feel this is the best decision for the overall health of myself and the baby.  Thank you in advance for all of your well wishes, thoughts and prayers! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about you and you are in my prayers!!! Please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do for you. Be happy to watch Thomas!

    ReplyDelete